Friday 2 November 2018

Writing reflection

We were given the task to create an imaginative piece of writing.
Our inspiration was about our wellington locations. If you are wondering
what the Wellington locations are they are the places that we are going to on
camp. I wrote about Te Papa. I really enjoyed making the writing and also
coming up with the ideas. I found it hard to stop writing and to come up with a
cliff hanging ender for the story. After we finished our writing we then had to
make a poem about the story that we had written. Each of the sentences had to
begin with ‘Imagine a night’, after doing that we had to pick sentences out of the
writing to create the poem.


I step into Te Papa, the doors just about to shut, looking around the bench
seats for my drink bottle. “Your late!” “Late?!, sorry I don’t know what you
mean, I just came for my-.” “No time, your shift has already started.” “Shift?”
 “Bob, don’t make excuses”. “ I’m not Bob, I am a child and just so you know
I am not a boy.” I sit on the bench. In the dim light, I make out a woman's
face edging closer to me. “Oh sorry, your not Bob, finally, the boss has
fired him.” “You must be the new guard.” “Who?, what?, where?, now?
Guard?” “Yes, you are Penelope.” “Penelope? Who is this Penelope you
speak of?” “You are just as crazy as the last guard,” she says while rolling
her eyes. “The last guard? You mean Bob?” “Yes! I mean Bob. Ok, follow me.”
The lady wraps her arm around my shoulders and pulls me along after her.
We go down a long winding corridor and up one flight of stairs. The stairs
open up into a big room, I stand in amazement. It looks so much bigger at
night. “Hurry along, this way” with a firm grip the old woman drags me over
to the information desk and sits me in a chair. “Here is your torch and radio
if you need it,” “so I am not here alone?”, “You are here alone, did you not
read the papers?” “Papers, sorry, I am confused”. “No time to be confused child,
my shift is well over and now I will leave you here till the morning,”
“What, No, Wait!” As I said that the old lady scattered over to the stairs and
vanished.


I sat in the chair, thinking it all through, what had just happened? Then it hit me,
why didn’t I see it before? I am the security guard for Te Papa, thats not that bad,
ya, not so bad. I stand up out of my seat, and walk to the other side of the desk
and look at some papers. A voice echoes over from the other end of the room.
“Do you know where the toilet is?” I spin around to see a large statue towering
over me. “Sorry I had to bother you, I am new around here, and the Gallipoli
men aren't that nice. Oh how rude of me, I am Queen Elizabeth.”
“Your highness?” I mutter before I pass out. My eyes flutter open to
see a… gigantic…. gun, pointed right at my face. I freeze in fear, “are you
an enemy, or one of the men?” I sit up, my mouth drops. “Close your mouth
boy!” “Is it not obvious I am a girl, and I am sick of being called a boy thank
you very much!” “Oh sorry ma’am, how rude of me, I am sergeant Butts,”
I chuckle under my breath, “sorry is something funny?” “No, sir, it’s-” “It's
what? Hurry up and spit it out, we don’t have much time” “what do you mean,
don’t have much time?” I say confused. In a stern voice sargent Butts says
“because, we are in world war one.” My heart starts to race. “Get up girl, you
can ride tedd” the man says with a friendly smile. “Where is tedd?” the man
stands up, he’s about 60 feet, at an estimate. He reappears leading a horse, he
brings it over to me, I look up. “Here you go Miss,” sergeant hands me the
reigns, “there you go.” He starts to walk away, “sergeant, I can’t mount this
horse!” “Why not?” “look at my size compared to the horse!” “Ok then I
will give you a lift”. The 60 foot man puts his hand down to the ground. I
look startled, “get on.” I place my left foot onto his hand then my right.
Slowly he lifts up his hand and places me onto the back of the horse. My
legs dangling, looking like little spots on the horses gut.


“This way Miss.” Tedd follows behind sergeant Butts, until we reach what
looked like a abandoned campsite. Tedd came to a grinding halt, I jolted
flyed almost sliding of the slick back of Tedd. Sergeant walks over to me
and pulls me by my hair and drops me to the ground. “That hurt you know!”
Slowly he walks away, I follow close behind him. In the distance I can see a
faint glow beaming from a tent. Sergeant pulls back the dirty white canvas
sheet to reveal a horde of men speaking to each other about the plan,
whatever the plan was. I look over to the corner of the tent and see what
looked like a real man tied up with cloth in his mouth. I tug on the loose
fabric of the sergeants pants, he pear down. “What seems to be the problem”
he says in a low voice. “Well why is there a man tied up in the tent?” I say
before a puzzled look crosses my face. “He said that he was an enemy, so we
tied him up” sergeant says with a grin on his face, shocked at what I had just
heard. It just spilt out. “That is not civilized!” before I remember that this is
world war one. ”Sorry, I just forgot that we are in world war one, so to you
that would be the right thing to do.” “Don’t sweat, my wife doesn't think it
is civilized either,” “you have a wife?”. “Yes I do, she works as a nurse”.


Another man walks over to sergeant Butts, the man is short and stubby
fat, and almost stood on me! In a lowed and meaningful voice he says
“sergeant Butts it is time to attack, the enemy have crossed the border
and now a heading for giant country that could be very-” “Shhhhh, I know
what it means they are going to get the giants to help them.” “Right boss you
are so smart,” “do not be funny with me, we have a war to win.”
“Troops it’s time to set out” sergeant Butts voice blasts over all
of the discussion. The men freeze, bolt and get their guns and sadel there horses.
Once everyone was out of the tent, the short stubby man went over to the
corner of the room and cut free the prisoner, then with a suspicious look he
walked out. Little did he know that I had just witnessed it all. The man who
had just been cut free was about to escape, I had to do something.
To be continued…
By Emma


2 comments:

  1. You have AMAZING writing skills! I read this all through class and enjoyed every bit! i can't imagine how long that took to write and the cliffhanger at the end had me on the edge of my seat. I think you'd make a good author!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Isobel,
    It was only meant to be a 3 paragraph peice of writhing but I go a little cared away with it. I am glade that you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.